Nathan Coleman

Nathan Coleman
see all my pics by clicking on my picture

Monday, March 23, 2015

March 22, 2015



To my family and friends,

Another wonderful week in the most interesting country in the world. We saw several people this week dressed up in fascinating costumes. I am now at 3 hugs by drunk old men, which is a pretty good number according to the Elders in my home. Anyway, the work is going great and I am totally happy here in Korea.

Today will be a short email, but it will contain one of the most important principles of the gospel. Many people wonder why religion is important, why God is important, and why Christ should matter to them at all. To explain, I will use a scripture. 

“And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end: That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.” (Hebrews 6:11-12)
 
According to Paul in Hebrews 6, all of us need to have diligence and patience and faith in order to fulfill the promises of God. This diligence, faith, and patience is more commonly referred to as hope. But hope in the religious sense is not the same as a hope that it could rain today. Hope is an unfailing, unwavering assurance that God will fulfill his promises to you. We can have hope in God because he is all powerful, all knowing, and all loving. As we turn to him, follow his commandments, and do our best to live good lives, God WILL keep his promises to us. Whether you are serving a mission right now, working, going through college, or whatever situation you might be in, God understands you perfectly. He knows how to help you and he wants to make you happy. In order to receive his guidance and his peace, we must pray and try our best to understand His will for us. A Book of Mormon prophet named Moroni explains what we should hope for:

40 And again, my beloved brethren, I would speak unto you concerning hope. How is it that ye can attain unto faith, save ye shall have hope?
 41 And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise. (Moroni 7:40-41)

I add my testimony to the prophets that this life is not the end. I know that through Christ and his death and resurrection, we will one day live again. Death will have no sting. The grave will have no victory. I know that through Christ all of us will live again and by following his words, we can have hope in this life that one day we will rest from all of our pains.

I love you all,
Elder Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment