Nathan Coleman

Nathan Coleman
see all my pics by clicking on my picture

Monday, March 21, 2016

March 21, 2016: Bad News



To my friends and family,

I hope that title makes a couple more of you open up the email; I don't actually have any bad news but if I hypothetically did then I hope this would help all of you deal with that news. So this week was super sick [this means good]. We are meeting a ton of people on the road, in buses, at their homes, and from various activities like basketball and even playing guitar. There are so many good people in this world, so whenever I hear some story about North Korea or elsewhere around the world, I just go talk to a nice guy on the street and it kinda takes away my worries.

So some culture for this week… I think this is probably similar in many parts of the world, but it is dying because people are lazy. One thing that older Korean men love for us to do is to stand up when they walk into the room and shake their hand with both hands. It shows a ton of respect and it makes them feel really valued and respected.

Anyway so the letter for this week: I talked to a lot of people about bad news recently. Whatever the story, it was always the same reaction: what do I do? How can me and my family be safe? Why would God let this happen? Of course we don't usually have the answer to the last question, but to the previous two we do. In the second to last chapter of the book of Mormon (Mormon 8), a father writes a letter to his son (both are fighting in a large war) and tells of the terrible things that are happening on both sides. However, even though they faced terrible things, they found faith in Christ and the love of God.

25 My son, be faithful in Christ; and may not the things which I have written grieve thee, to weigh thee down unto death; but may Christ lift thee up, and may his sufferings and death, and the showing his body unto our fathers, and his mercy and long-suffering, and the hope of his glory and of eternal life, rest in your mind forever.

 26 And may the grace of God the Father, whose throne is high in the heavens, and our Lord Jesus Christ, who sitteth on the right hand of his power, until all things shall become subject unto him, be, and abide with you forever.

My letter was very long last time so I will be brief this time. I know that as we align our will with God’s and as we trust in His plan for us and His promises to us, we can find peace and joy in the hardest times. I love you all.

Elder Coleman



No comments:

Post a Comment