Nathan Coleman

Nathan Coleman
see all my pics by clicking on my picture

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Don't be like King Noah



February 12, 2017

Hey everyone!

I hope you all had a great week! This week has been full of adventures and firsts, which is unusual because I thought I was just about out of firsts in Korea. But I was wrong! So, we went to a funeral this past week and for the first time in my life I saw the Korean ceremonial bow for past ancestors, so that was very interesting, but at the same time, of course, very sad. We also had a chance to talk with someone who will probably pass away soon. The atmosphere talking with him was so different than that at the funeral. He was full of hope and believed completely that he has lived a great life and that he would get to live with his family again after he passed. The last fun thing this week that we did was I had a chance to teach (yea this part is funny) the violin! So as many of you probably know, I am not good at the violin. But one of our members really wants to learn how to play so I am teaching her the super basics. It’s pretty fun, but I am not sure if I am teaching her wrong.

If you all read the subject line, today I want to talk about a bad king that is in the Book of Mormon. I will leave a description of him.

 2 For behold, he did not keep the commandments of God, but he did walk after the desires of his own heart. 5 For he put down all the priests that had been consecrated by his father, and consecrated new ones in their stead, such as were lifted up in the pride of their hearts. 6 Yea, and thus they were supported in their laziness, and in their idolatry, and in their whoredoms, by the taxes which King Noah had put upon his people; thus did the people labor exceedingly to support iniquity. 7 Yea, and they also became idolatrous, because they were deceived by the vain and flattering words of the king and priests; for they did speak flattering things unto them.

In our church when we learn about King Noah, we learn about a super fat guy who didn't do anything and always seemed to get everyone else into trouble. Sometimes when I read this story I am reminded of those times when I was younger when I learned about him. But this time when I read this story, I had a question pop into my mind. Are you being like King Noah? The first thing I did of course was go weigh myself and I haven't gained a lot of weight so that was good, but the second thing I did was look a little deeper. How many times are we like him? How many times do we walk after our own desires, rely too much on other people, become lazy, and not keep the commandments of God? When we are too proud to change, or when we know the right thing to do but we don't do it for any reason, we are being like King Noah. So my advice for all of you is to not be like King Noah. When something is hard just do it. When God gives a commandment and you don't like it, like it. This is never easy of course, but the more we put aside our own desires, we will truly be more happy. I have come to know that is true, even though I am not even close to perfect at it.

I hope you all have a good week!
Elder Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment