Nathan Coleman

Nathan Coleman
see all my pics by clicking on my picture

Monday, September 19, 2016

Are you sleeping?



September 18, 2016

To my friends and family,

I don't really know why I keep putting that line to start my emails. If I have learned anything on my mission it is that my friends and anyone that you meet can become your family. I had an experience when I left my last area with someone that I had taught for a long time and he was eventually baptized. The last thing that he said to me before I left was that I would always be a part of his family. I am so happy for the experiences that I have had throughout my life to have wonderful people come into my life and teach me and become part of my family.

Anyway so this past week was Korean thanksgiving but we didn't really do anything special because we are too busy teaching and with other stuff. But I learned from a member that Koreans do A LOT of work for passed ancestors. So if I understood right, first of all on this week they do a sacrifice just for general ancestors. Then the day before that they do another one for all of their ancestors up to their dead grandparents. So for older people that is like 6 per person. Kinda crazy. Then there is another day that they do sacrifices but I kinda got confused about what that was... Anyway cool culture for me too!

So something that has been on my mind a lot lately is the concept of spiritual sleep. We all do it. We all take breaks from things that we know we should be doing. Whatever we believe, we sometimes forget to do the small things that we know are right. For example, how many of us go through long periods of time when we do not go to church, say our prayers, or read the scriptures? Perhaps more importantly, how many of us go through times where we forget to live the principles of faith, love, humility, and patience? There is a passage that I read this past week that I liked a lot.

 “Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.”

Have any of us forgotten how merciful God has been in our lives? Have any of us forgotten to love the people around us? Have we forgotten to be humble or patient or faithful? If you feel that you may be sleeping spiritually, emotionally, or maybe too much physically, I invite you to wake up. Go do the things that you know that you should be doing. Maybe it is going back to church. Maybe it is studying for tests, or getting a job. Maybe it is working out more or getting on a diet. I promise and I know that God blesses those who choose to act. So act, be children of light and make sure you are not sleeping.

Love you all,

Elder Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment