Nathan Coleman

Nathan Coleman
see all my pics by clicking on my picture

Monday, November 7, 2016

Stepping First



November 16, 2016

My families and friends!

What a crazy week! I started training a new missionary this week and we also have elder Perry with us (3 in our group now). So that has been an adventure and will continue to be so.

This week I have looked back a lot on the past 2 years. On the 5th of November 2 years ago I started my mission, so my group that I started my mission with is now at home hugging their moms and having a nice hamburger. So, when I got to see them off to America I thought about the things that I have learned in the past 2 years. Of course, I have learned a lot of Korean and a lot of things about people, but I think I can summarize the other things pretty fast.

Before I started my mission, I believed a lot of things. I believed that I had a Father in Heaven who loved me and heard my prayers. I believed that I had a Savior, Jesus Christ, who also loved me and suffered for my sins. I believed that there was a prophet on the Earth in our church that helped us better understand God's will and guided us to truth. And I believed that if I obeyed the things the things that God said, I would be happy.

I wish I could say that I had all the answers to my questions. I wish that I knew why some people are so blessed and some suffer so much. I wish that I knew why God sometimes allows good people to pass through trials that seem too hard for them to bear. But whenever I think about the things I don't know I remember a scripture in the Book of Mormon

“And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.”

If we knew all things in this life, we would not have any need to walk in faith. If we didn't experience trials, we would have no need to hope for a better life. If I could share the thing that I have learned (so far) that is most valuable on my mission if would be this; you must step before you can see. We will never know if God loves us or not until we pray and ask. We will not know that Jesus Christ is our Savior until we learn of him and repent. We will not know if there is a true prophet until we listen to his words. And we will never find the happiness that surpasses all understanding until we first take a step and live the commandments. So now after over 21 years of being a part of this church, learning from great parents and teachings, and living and not living the commandments there are some things that I have come to know because of my own personal experience. I know that anyone who diligently and sincerely seeks for this testimony can also receive it.

I know there is a God, and I know that he is my Father and that I can communicate with him every day when I pray. I know that I have a Savior who suffered for my sins and gives me the chance to overcome my mistakes and weaknesses. I know that there is a prophet on this earth, I have seen him with my own eyes and heard his words and I have felt in my heart and in my mind that he speaks for God. And I know that there is no other path to true and lasting happiness without following the Savior’s teachings. I hope and pray that all of you will have similar experiences and find the same testimony that I have found. I hope that we can all continue learning and grow step by step to become who our Father in Heaven wants us to be.

I love you all,
Elder Coleman





No comments:

Post a Comment